7th Grade Math Syllabus
Instructor: Mrs. Tamisha Thompson
This course is designed to develop students into confident and proficient problem solvers. Students will be encouraged to think critically and analytically and to use mathematical models and procedures to solve real-life problems. This course will also provide students with the foundation needed for success in higher level math courses.
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: Go Math Middle School Grade 7
- hrw.com -Students will be able to access the textbook, assignments and homework online. The website also has tutorial videos, a personal math trainer, and intervention activities.
- a tablet or an IPad is strongly recommended
- 2 spiral notebooks & a graph notebook
- post it notes
- ruler & scissors
- glue sticks
- dry erase markers
The overall grade for this course will be derived from a combination of Summative Assessments (unit tests & projects), Formative assessments (quizzes, class assignments & daily activities), and homework.
*Parents can access his/her child’s grades on Parent Portal.
The Number System
- Apply and extend previous understandings of operations with fractions to add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers.
Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
Expressions and Equations
- Use properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions.
- Solve real-life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations.
- Draw, construct and describe geometrical figures and describe the relationships between them.
- Solve real-life and mathematical problems involving angle measure, area, surface area, and volume.
Statistics and Probability
- Use random sampling to draw inferences about a population.
- Draw informal cooperative inferences about two populations.
- Investigate chance processes and develop, use, and evaluate probability models.
Assignments/Tests and Absences
It is the responsibility of the student to get any missing notes and to arrange to make up missing assignments. If a student has an excused absence, he/she has the same number of days that he/she was absent to make up any work. Students will also be given the opportunity to make up tests and quizzes. If the student has prior knowledge of the unit test or quiz, he/she will be required to take the test or quiz the day he/she returns to school.
Students will be penalized ten points per day for any late assignments, and assignments will not be accepted after four days past the due date.
The school utilizes Class Dojo as a classroom management tool. In this system, points or dojos are awarded for good or positive behavior and taken away for negative or inappropriate behavior. Students who have accumulated the most dojo points within a given time frame are then rewarded. Parents and guardians can access Class Dojo throughout the day to monitor their child’s behavior.
We want to ensure that we provide a safe and effective learning environment for every student. All students will be expected to behave in a respectful manner toward the teacher and everyone else in the classroom. If a student continuously fails to abide by the classroom rules or school policies, the parent or guardian will be notified, and the student will be sent to the office.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. You may email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call the school and leave a message. I am looking forward to a fantastic year!